Dealing with Adult Acne
I have to be honest, adult acne is a drag! I mean, first we have to deal with the “onset aging experience" but, now we’re getting breakouts again? Is there some sort of higher purpose to all of this madness?!
Struggling with these two skin conditions, first and foremost we have to clear the skin before we target wrinkles. And one of the biggest challenges with acne prone skin as we age is also having dry and dehydrated skin. Your products for dry skin might help with hydration but could also be too heavy for the areas of your skin that break out. What a dilemma! Have no fear, there is hope and I am here to share that with you!
When you were a teen, you may have been able to use a high-powered blemish buster like benzoyl peroxide multiple times a day without any irritation. Unfortunately, as we age, our skin gets thinner, dryer and more sensitive — and that can pose problems when it comes to treating acne skin as an adult. Stripping your skin of oil is a thing of the past! we want to target bacteria in the skin and replenish with nutrients and proper hydration. The goal is to balance the irritation with soothing, anti-inflammatory agents that nourish aging skin.
- Gently cleanse with an oil cleanser or a creamy BHA cleanser.
- Exfoliate 1 to 3 times a week with a gentle acidic pad. The VitaC Pads are wonderful!
- Mist your face with a hydrating tonic like a rose toner.
- Hyaluronic acid serum! HA holds 1000 times its weight in water which means it will seal in hydration and last all day.
- Finished with a lightweight moisturizer like the balancing lotion or Rosehip and hibiscus cream.
ACNE-CARE IS NOT JUST SKIN-CARE
No, acne isn’t always about what you are doing or not doing for your skin topically. A big factor we need to take into consideration is the health of our gut. If our gut bacteria is out of whack, you can experience a lot of issues not only with your tummy, but it can show up on your skin in a not so attractive way. Have you ever noticed your skin breaks out more if you had pizza one night or drank a little bit too much alcohol etc.? And some people are more sensitive than others.
Foods to eliminate while dealing with acne breakouts:
I tell all of my clients that if they are struggling with frequent breakouts to illuminate the culprit that is destroying their gut:
- Dairy, wheat, sugar, alcohol, seaweed, soy, greasy/processed foods.
- A clean, plain, healthy diet with probiotics and digestive enzymes can really help!
- An allergy test from a functional medicine practitioner or acupuncturist can also be helpful when healing your gut.
SKIN CARE PRODUCT AUDIT
It’s important to remember that treating your acne is a marathon, not a race. It’s best to consult a professional first and do a home care skin care audit. Lay out all of your skin care products you are currently using, investigate the ingredients, and have your professional suggest eliminating or adding things to your regimen.
FAVORITE ACNE SAFE PRODUCTS
DermaClear BHA Cleanser